Thursday, June 11, 2009

History of Plastic... use it wisely

I beleive that knowledge is power. And information is the weapon I use to destroy ignorance and create understanding which then becomes a vehicle for positive change.

Enough silly talk. What I am trying to say is that when I do something for the environment that is considered "out of the norm" to the general massess (like refuse seafood, print on the back side of used paper, carry items with my hands instead of plastic bags, etc) I will often be asked why I am doing what I am doing.

I have found that if I do not do a good job explaining my actions, the person questioning me has a strange look on their face, as though they are thinking "weirdo". That is ONE reason I do my best to research and learn as much as I can about the issues I am concerned about.

Responding with "because it is good for the planet" doesn't really do much except excuse the "abnormal" activity I am engaged in. BUT giving a quick, precise and understandable response can actually change someone's mind and foster real positive action to improve the world we live in.

I have several examples of where this has worked but I have more where I do not reach people with my explanations but the only thing I can do is be proactive myself and respond to inquiring minds the best way possible.

SO... with that in mind I found a great resource with lots of information about the history of the one thing this campaign is centered around... plastic. My hope is that you will read the information contained in this site (and links) and use that information in a way that leads to reduction of plastic use for a better future on this planet.

History of Plastics